January 17, 2021
Parents, just follow the instructions and have a great time with your kids worshipping God and learning from His Word together!
Lesson: God is the King
First watch this lesson video:
After the video…
Here are some questions to help you discuss the lesson with your kids:
- Why did the Israelites want a king? (They wanted a king they could see with their eyes, they wanted to be like the other nations, they didn’t trust God.)
- Why didn’t Saul turn out to be a godly king? (He became proud and stopped following God’s instructions.)
- Do you ever find it hard to trust and follow God? Why?
- Why is God the best one to trust and follow?
- Recite the memory together. Practice reciting it each day this week:
“Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation” – Colossians 1:15 (NLT)
Seek God together
Take time to pray together.
Explain to your kids that sin is when we try to be our own kings and queens and ignore God. We’ve all done that. God is always calling us back to Himself because He loves us.
Use this time to dedicate yourselves to God. As in the video, have your kids pretend to hold their “crowns” in their hands and, as you pray, lift them up as a way of giving them to God and crowning Him your King. You may want to all kneel down together. You can voice your own prayers or use this prayer from the video to pray together:
Oh God, we often want to be our own kings and queens. Forgive us for the times we ignore You. But You are the King. You love us and came to rescue us. Thank you Lord Jesus. We give you our crowns. We give you our lives. Help us follow You every day. Lead our lives and be our KING.
This song celebrates how God loves us and brings us back when we wander:
This song calls on all creation – even the sun and moon – to praise God our King!