February 28, 2021
Parents, just follow the instructions and have a great time with your kids worshipping God and learning from His Word together!
Lesson: Great Failure, Gigantic Forgiveness
First watch this lesson video:
After the video…
Here are some questions and activities to help you discuss the lesson with your kids:
1. When David was tempted, what should he have done? (Walked away, listened to God, asked God to help him…)
2. Can you think of a time when you didn’t listen to God? What happened?
3. When Nathan showed David his sin, what did David do? (He was so sorry and repented.) Did God forgive David?
4. When you are told that you’ve done something wrong, how do you usually react? Do you make excuses? Lie to cover it up? Say your sorry?
5. God forgives us when we repent but sometimes there are consequences to our sin like there were for David. Can you think of some examples? (If you lie, others might not trust you again. If you break the rules at school you will get detention, etc…)
6. What did you learn today about God’s forgiveness?
Memory Verse Time! Have everyone draw a heart on a piece of paper and write the memory verse inside it. Post your verses around the house to help you memorize it. (For younger children, have them draw a picture inside the heart of something God forgave them for.)
“Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me.” – Psalm 51:10
Seek God together
Tell your kids that there will be three parts to your prayer time together.
1. Recite the beginning of the memory verse together: “Create in me a clean heart, O God.” Then let everyone silently think about the things they are sorry for and ask God for forgiveness.
2. After a few minutes, recite the next part of the memory verse together: “Renew a loyal spirit within me.” Allow for another time of quietness where everyone can silently ask God to help them to be faithful in those areas where they may be struggling.
3. Then let everyone take turns expressing thanks to God for His forgiveness. Encourage your kids to tell God what His gigantic forgiveness means to them.
Have someone close with this prayer:
“O God, we thank you for never giving up on us. Thank you for dying on the cross for us and rising again. You are our perfect Shepherd King. When we mess up, you forgive us and help us. Your constant love gives us joy and comfort. Help us to be loyal to you in all we say and do, in how we think and live. We love You! We pray all this in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
A beautiful song about how God forgives us!