May 2, 2021
Parents, just follow the instructions and have a great time with your kids worshipping God and learning from His Word together!
Lesson: The Right Kind of Influence
First watch this lesson video:
After the video…
Here are some questions to help you talk about the lesson with your family.
1. In the Bible story today, Queen Athaliah had a lot of influence. Was she a good influence or a bad influence? (A bad influence.)
2. Queen Athaliah tried to kill all the boys related to King David so that no one from David’s family would ever be king. But one boy escaped. What was his name? (Joash)
3. Where did Joash’s aunt and uncle hide him? (In the temple)
4. How old was Joash when he became king? (Seven years old)
5. What mistake did Joash make when he got older? (He started listening to people who were bad influences and gave him bad advice.)
6. Ask your kids to think of people in their lives who have had a good influence on them — people who have been good examples. Take turns naming people.
Seek God together
Start by reciting the memory verse together.
“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young. But set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” – 1 Timothy 4:12
Ask your kids: What are some things that make it difficult to be a good example or influence on others?
There are five ways 1 Timothy 4:12 encourages us to be good influences: in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. In which area(s) do you struggle with the most? Pray about these things together and encourage your kids to rely on God to help them to be good examples.
Close with this prayer:
Lord Jesus, You have shown us Your love in so many ways. Please help us to share Your love with those around us and to be influences for You! Help us use our words to encourage others and to tell them about You. Help us to make good choices every day so others may see our lives and know what it means to follow You. Help us to love others unselfishly like You do. Help us to have faith and trust in You through good times and bad. Help us to live pure and holy lives and to grow more and more like You, Lord Jesus, so that You will receive glory. In Your Name we pray. Amen.
The first song reminds us to influence others by sharing the good news and love of Jesus. The second song is the one from our lesson video — 1 Timothy 4:12.