July 11, 2021
Parents, just follow the instructions and have a great time with your kids worshipping God and learning from His Word together!
First watch this lesson video:
After the video…
Here are some questions to help you talk about the lesson with your family.
1. Which is stronger: happiness or joy? (Joy – it makes you want to jump up and down and throw a party.)
2. What brings God the most joy? (We do! God has joy when we are in His family, connected to Him.)
3. We bring joy to God, but God also wants us to have joy. What should bring us joy? (Knowing God loves us and rescues us, being in His family)
4. Assign your family members the roles of the sheep, coin, and son from the parables in Luke 15. Have them imagine that they are that character as you interview them with these questions:
- – Describe what happened when you were found. How did it happen? (Encourage them to use their imagination.)
- – How did you feel when you were found?
5. How can we tell if the fruit of joy is growing in our lives? (Possible answers: We’ll complain less and less, we’ll be thankful, we’ll remember how much God loves us, we’ll trust God more.)
6. See if your kids can recite the Memory verse.
Oh Lord Almighty, what joy for those who trust in you.
– Psalm 84:12
Seek God together
Build a prayer together using the P.R.A.Y. method from the Build-a-Prayer workshop. Assign the following parts to family members to pray aloud. Encourage them to add their own words if they feel like it.
P – (PRAISE)
“Oh Lord Almighty, what joy for those who trust in You!” Thank you God for coming to our rescue! You came looking for us like the shepherd searched for his sheep, like the woman looked for her coin, and the father ran to his son. Thank you for dying for our sins and rising again. Your joy over us gives us joy!
R – (REPENT)
Lord, many times we forget how much You love us. We complain. We can be grumpy and gloomy. We forget to trust you when things go wrong. Forgive us.
A – (ASK)
God, please help us remember Your great love for us. Help us to trust You always. Fill us with joy and may it gush out and touch others who need to know Your love too.
Y – (YIELD)
God, we know You want us to trust You. We know that’s how the fruit of joy will grow in us. You are almighty and we put our trust in You.
Singing is one way we can express joy! Here are some joyful, thankful songs to sing. (The first song is great for older kids and the second for younger kids.)