September 12, 2021
Parents, just follow the instructions and have a great time with your kids worshipping God and learning from His Word together!
Lesson: Setting Sail!
First watch this lesson video:
After the video…
Talk about the lesson with your family…
For this series we will use the idea of sailing to help kids understand how the spiritual disciplines (like prayer, Bible reading, etc.) help us grow. Review today’s introduction by discussing the following:
- 1. What does a sailboat need to do to move across the water? (It needs to put up its sails. When the sails are up, the wind’s power can move it.)
- 2. What happens if the boat doesn’t put up its sails? (It will not move very far.)
- 3. God loves us and has plans for us and He wants us to grow closer to Him. But what happens if we never think about God, never talk with Him, never go to church, never learn more about Him? Will our friendship with God grow stronger? (No. We’ll be like sailboats that don’t put up sails. We’ll miss out on getting close to God!)
- 4. Explain that when we talk with God and learn about Him, we draw close to Him — it’s like raising our sails so the Holy Spirit can move in us and grow us! This month we’re going to learn about things we can do to grow closer to God. Ask: What makes you feel close to God? (Parents, this is a good opportunity to share with your kids some of your spiritual disciplines. For example, share how prayer has helped you grow closer to God, etc.)
- 5. Our memory verse reminds us that God wants us to be close to Him – He wants that even more than we do! Let’s say it together:
Come close to God, and God will come close to you. – James 4:8
Seek God together
Have everyone close their eyes and imagine they are like sailboats. Have them raise their hands and say in their hearts to God: “God I want You to bring me closer to You.”
After a moment, close with this prayer:
“Heavenly Father, thank You for loving us so much. Thank You for wanting us to be close to You more than we can imagine. We are raising our hands as a sign that we want to get closer to You. As we come close to You this week, please help us to grow. In the Name of our Lord Jesus we pray. Amen.”
Sing about how God is growing you!