October 3, 2021
Parents, just follow the instructions and have a great time with your kids worshipping God and learning from His Word together!
Lesson: Sail 4 (Being Part of the Church)
First watch this lesson video:
After the video…
Talk about the lesson with your family…
- 1. What does your child think about the humorous way Paul describes the church as a body in 1 Co 12:14-27?
- 2. What is Paul saying to us? (We all have a part; we need each other to serve God’s Kingdom and to grow.)
- 3. What do you think it means that Jesus is the “head” of the church?
- 4. Explain to your child that even though they are young, they are still part of God’s family – the Church. They can do so much! Have them talk about their talents and different things they can do, and share with your child the things you have done as part of the Church. Encourage your child to ask God to show them the gifts He has given them and explain that He doesn’t show them to us all at once, but over the course of our lives.
- 5. Memorize the key verse: Come up with hand motions together to help you commit this verse to memory this week. (Be sure to watch the song video at the end of this webpage to help it stick.)
“You are the body of Christ. And each one of you is a part of it.”
– 1 Corinthians 12:27
Seek God together
- Have everyone hold hands as a reminder that we are all part of God’s family, the Church.
- Then take turns expressing thanks to God for what He did to forgive us and bring us into His family.
- Close with the following prayer:
Oh loving, heavenly Father, we thank You for the Church – Your family. Thank you for giving each of us ways that we can help and serve Your Kingdom together. Help us to grow and discover the gifts and talents you have given us. And help us to work together as we serve you in love every day. In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.
Here are two songs to tie the lesson together.
This first one is our memory verse: 1 Corinthians 12:27
This second one is a great song to remind us that we are never too young or small. Paul’s advice to Timothy, a young pastor, was:
“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young. But set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12