December 26, 2021
Parents, follow the instructions and have a great time with your kids worshipping God and learning from His Word together.
Lesson: Advent Week 5 – Worth the Wait
First watch this lesson video:
After the video…
Here are some questions to discuss and wonder about together from Luke 2:22-40. You can print the coloring page below to work on while you discuss the questions.
- 1. Why did Mary and Joseph take Jesus to the Temple when he was a baby? (To dedicate Him.)
- 2. Parents, if you dedicated your children when they were babies, tell them what that was like and what it meant. Give them some of the details… Did they cry? What did the pastor say? Did you celebrate after? Share your favorite memory from that day. Even look at photos if you have them.
- 3. What were Simeon and Anna waiting for their whole lives? (They were waiting for God to rescue His people.)
- 4. How do you think Simeon and Anna felt when they saw Jesus with their own eyes?
- 5. What did Simeon and Anna do when they saw Jesus?
- 6. Mary and Joseph had heard from an angel, the shepherds, and now Anna and Simeon that their baby, Jesus, was the Rescuer – the Savior of the world. How do you think Mary and Joseph felt?
Seek God together
If your children are old enough to understand, explain that although you may have dedicated them to God when they were infants, now that they can understand, God wants them to dedicate themselves to Him. To dedicate yourself to God means to give yourself to Him and let Him lead your life.
You can pray something like this together (or use your own words) whether it is the first time your child is accepting Christ, or you want to have a time of dedication for your whole family.
God, thank You for the wonder of your great love. Like Simeon and Anna, we believe You came to save us and we put our trust in You. We want to live our lives for You. Please forgive us of our sin. We dedicate ourselves to You. Fill us with your Holy Spirit and help us to follow You as our King. Thank you, Lord Jesus, our Rescuer!
This is a song of dedication you can learn and sing together.