January 2, 2022
Parents, follow the instructions and have a great time with your kids worshipping God and learning from His Word together.
Build-a-Prayer Workshop #1: God Wants Us To Pray
First watch this lesson video:
After the video…
Here are some questions to help you discuss the lesson with your kids. You can print the coloring page below to work on while you talk. (Don’t write in the thought bubble until you get to #5.)
- 1. – What did Jesus say was wrong with how the Pharisees prayed? (They thought God would hear them because they used lots of big, clever-sounding words. They showed off when they prayed, hoping people would think God loved them best.)
- 2. Why does God listen to us when we talk with Him? Is it because we are clever or use fancy words? (No! He listens because He loves us.)
- 3. Jesus gave us an example of how to pray. Do you remember what we call it? (The Lord’s Prayer.)
- 4. We learned two ways we can “build” a prayer. What are those two ways? (We can talk to Him from our hearts – short or long prayers. We can also use the Lord’s prayer as a guide to help us pray.)
- 5. Today we learned that God wants us to pray and we can tell God whatever is on our hearts. Think of something you would like to tell God and write it in the thought bubble on the coloring page.
Seek God together
Take turns expressing your “thought bubbles” from the coloring page. Then pray the Lord’s Prayer together:
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory now and forever.
Celebrate your trust in God by singing the memory verse together from Philippians 4:6-7.