January 9, 2022
Parents, follow the instructions and have a great time with your kids worshipping God and learning from His Word together.
Build-a-Prayer Workshop #2: Start Your Prayer With Praise
First watch this lesson video:
After the video…
Here are some questions & an activity to help you talk about the lesson with your kids.
- 1. Review the story about the 10 lepers by working together to retell it. Take turns saying one sentence each until you’ve retold the whole story. . (As you retell it, ask your kids to express the feelings of the characters at different points in the story. For example, when they talk about the men who had leprosy ask, “How would you have felt if you had that kind of skin disease” and later, “How would you have felt when Jesus healed you.” etc.)
- 2. When someone says, “thank you!” or “you did a good job” it feels good, right? But we often forget to do that for God, don’t we? And God does the MOST for us – more than we even realize. He deserves praise. Express your praise to God with the following activity:
- – Grab crayons or colored pencils, paper and scissors.
- – Have everyone fold their paper in half along its short edge.
- – Place the pinky side of your hand at the edge and draw an outline of your hand .
- – Cut along the outline being careful not to cut through the center.
- – Open the paper and you’ll have two hands.
- – On the hands you can write words or sentences of praise to God, OR draw a picture of something you want to praise God for. You can even write the memory verse! (“Give thanks to Him and praise His name. For the Lord is good and His love endures forever.” Psalm 100:4-5)
To see what the activity will look like, click HERE.
Seek God together
Pray the Lord’s Prayer together but before you do, talk about the first part we learned today. You can use the following questions…
- – In the lesson we talked about starting our prayer with praise. What part of the Lord’s Prayer does that? (Answer: The first part: “Hallowed be Your name.”)
- – What do we mean when we say that? Does it mean that God’s name is unimportant or VERY important? (Answer: We’re saying that God’s name is the most special and important Name of all because He’s the greatest! We’re praising God.)
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory now and forever. Amen
Singing is a way to praise God. It’s like putting your prayer to music! Here are some great praise songs you can sing together and learn so you can sing them throughout the week as you gather for family prayer, when you’re praying on your own, or whenever you want.