April 24, 2022
Sailing the Sixty-Six: Stay Focused and Faithful
First watch this lesson video:
Here are questions and an activity to help you talk about the lesson with your kids.
1. What is wisdom? (The ability to make right choices.)
2. Why did Solomon ask for wisdom instead of something else? (He knew he needed God’s help and wisdom to take good care of God’s people.)
3. How did God feel when Solomon asked for wisdom? (He was happy and gave Solomon more than just wisdom.)
4. Why didn’t Solomon stay faithful to God? (He focused on all the things he had and listened to his pagan wives.)
5. Have there been times when you have lost focus on God? What happened?
6. What can help us stay focused and faithful? Parents, share from your own experiences (both successes and failures) and help your kids come up with practical ideas like praying in the morning, reading a verse at breakfast . . . ideas to help them keep their eyes on Jesus and faithfully follow Him.
Memory Verse Time! As a reminder that God is the King, have your kids draw a picture of a crown. then have them write the memory verse inside it. You can also print out this crown template to use: Crown-coloring-page
“Seek first God’s kingdom and what God wants. Then all your other needs will be met as well.” – Matthew 6:33
Seek God together
Do any family members need wisdom in making choices? Does anyone need God to help them stay focused and faithful?
Encourage everyone to ask God for what they need as you spend a few moments in silent prayer. Remind them that God loves us and wants to help us.
After a few minutes, have someone close with this prayer:
O Lord, Jesus, You are our wise and perfect King and you are always faithful to us. Thank you that we can ask you for wisdom. Please give us the wisdom we need each day to make the right choices. Please help us keep our eyes on you and not get distracted by things that would tempt us to stray. Help us put you first. Help us faithfully follow you. We love you, God!
Here is a song from Matthew chapter 6. It contains our memory verse!