May 1, 2022
Sailing the Sixty-Six: It Matters Who You Listen To
First watch this lesson video:
Here are questions to help you talk about the lesson with your kids.
1. Fill in the blank: The people wanted King Rehoboam to treat them ___________ than his father Solomon did.
A. like B. better (Answer: B. better)
2. Rehoboam didn’t know what to do so he asked for advice. What advice did the older men give Rehoboam? (ANSWER: They told him he should be kind to the people like they asked and serve them.)
3. What advice did the younger men give Rehoboam? (ANSWER: They said he should be mean and tougher than Solomon was.)
4. What did the people do when Rehoboam was harsh to them and told them he was going to be mean to them? (ANSWER: They left and chose another king named Jeroboam to lead them in the north. Israel was split in two.)
5. It matters who we listen to. Come up with a list together of people you know who’s advice you can trust.
Memory verse time! Recite the memory verse together. Write it down and post it on the refrigerator to help you memorize it this week.
“Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life.” Proverbs 19:20
Seek God together
Make the observation that when Rehoboam refused the advice of the older men who told him he should serve the people, Rehoboam probably thought kings should BE served instead of having TO serve others, right? Many people in power think that they should be the ones who are served.
But what did our true forever King Jesus come to do? Jesus said in Matthew 20:28 that he came to serve and to give His life to save us. The all powerful King of the universe came to serve.
Take a few quiet moments to thank God in your hearts for the wonderful King that He is to us.
After a few moments, have two family members close with this two-part prayer:
O Lord Jesus, even though You are our mighty King, you came to serve and save us. You are kind and take good care of us. Help us every day to follow your example and serve one another in love.
And Lord, thank you for teaching us that it matters who we listen to. We ask that you help us to listen and obey You. And help us to listen to the wise and godly advice of the loving people you have put in our lives. We ask this in Your Name. Amen.
Like Ralph learned in the lesson video, just because you’re young, doesn’t mean you can’t give good advice or be an example to others. This song comes from 1 Timothy 4:12.