May 8, 2022
Sailing the Sixty-Six: God Wants Us To Rely On Him
First watch this lesson video:
Here are some questions and activities to help you discuss the lesson with your kids:
Fill in the blanks about today’s lesson:
1. When king Abijah and his troops were trapped they ___________ to God and God helped them because they relied on Him. (Answer: prayed or cried out)
2. King Asa relied on God when he was younger, but when he got older he didn’t. When he got scared, he ________ another king to attack Israel. (Answer: paid)
3. And when Asa got sick he only went to the _______________ and never prayed. He should have done both. (Answer: doctors)
4. How can we show God that we rely on Him? (By praying and looking to Him for help in all we do.)
6. The most important thing to rely on God for is something we could never do our own. We need to rely on Him to take away our _______. (Answer: sin) Parents, this provides an opportunity to talk with your kids about the gift of salvation through faith. Ask them if they have relied on God to take away their sin. Share your testimony with them and show them how to pray for forgiveness and commit their lives to Christ.
Trust Fall activity. Tell your kids that you’re all going to practice relying on each other. Have each child take turns standing with their back toward the rest of the family that is standing close behind them. When a parent says “go” the child should fall back into the arms of their family members. (Parents, be sure you are there to catch your child!) After the activity ask:
- Was it difficult or easy to trust the others as you fell back?
- Point out that we can trust and rely on the people who love us, but God is even more reliable! How much more can we rely on God to hold us up and help us!
Seek God together
Start by reciting the memory verse together:
“Help us, O Lord our God, for we rely on you.” – 2 Chronicles 14:11
Then take turns sharing any struggles you may be going through. Rely on God together by praying for each other.
Then pray the Lord’s Prayer together:
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory now and forever. Amen.
Sing together about relying on God.