June 12, 2022
Sailing the Sixty-Six: The Right Kind of Influence
First watch this lesson video:
Here are questions to help you talk about the lesson with your kids.
1. In the Bible story today, Queen Athaliah had a lot of influence. Was she a good influence or a bad influence? (A bad influence.)
2. Queen Athaliah tried to kill all the boys related to King David so that no one from David’s family would ever be king. But one boy escaped. What was his name? (Joash)
3. Where did Joash’s aunt and uncle hide him? (In the temple)
4. Were Joash’s aunt and uncle good influences on him? (Yes)
5. What mistake did Joash make when he got older? (He started listening to people who were bad influences and gave him bad advice.)
6. Ask your kids to think of people in their lives who have had a good influence on them — people who have been good examples. Take turns naming people.
Seek God together
Begin your time of prayer by reciting the memory verse together:
“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young. But set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” – 1 Timothy 4:12
There are five ways 1 Timothy 4:12 encourages us to be good influences: in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. Take turns sharing which of these five areas are the most difficult to be a good example in. Pray about these things together and encourage your kids to rely on God to help them to be good examples.
Close with this prayer:
Lord Jesus, You are so good to us and have shown us Your love in so many ways. Your Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. Please help us to share your love with those around us and help us to be good influences! Help us to use our words to encourage others and tell them about You. Help us to make good choices every day so others may see our lives and know what it means to follow You. Help us to live pure and holy lives and to grow more and more like you. In Your Name we pray.
Practice 1 Timothy 4:12 with this song. Stand up together and do the hand motions!