June 7, 2020
Parents, this lesson is simple to use. Just follow the instructions and have a great time with your kids at home worshipping God and learning from His Word together!
Lesson: Cleaning Up The Yard
Bible Passages: Galatians 5:22-23; 2 Corinthians 5:17
First watch this lesson video:
Discussion & Activities
Spend time talking about the lesson. Let your interactions with your child help you determine what parts of this section to use. Use this as a time to talk, learn, pray and worship together.
Supplies Needed: Crayons/markers/colored pencils; Printed templates (see #1 below for the links).
1. Talk about the lesson
Talk while you color this template. Here are some questions to discuss:
- – In Paul’s letter to the Galatians in the Bible, Paul gives us examples of the stuff that grows out of sin. Can you name some of his examples? (Examples: Selfishness, hate, jealousy, rage…)
- – Paul says that with the Spirit of God inside you, the fruit that comes out is very different than the stuff that sin grows. What is this fruit called? (ANSWER: The Fruit of the Spirit)
- – Can you name the fruit of the Spirit without looking at your coloring page?
- – True or False: When we follow Jesus, the power of the Holy Spirit will make us like Him. (ANSWER: True)
As an added activity, you can print out this Word Scramble and see how well you know the Fruit of the Spirit.
2. Pray together
Tell your family that over the summer we’ll be learning all about the different “fruit” God wants to grow in our lives. Say that you’re looking forward to the good changes God will make in each of us.
Then have each family member share the fruit they think they have a lot of in their lives. Affirm each other by giving examples of how you see that fruit in their lives.
Next, have everyone share a fruit they are lacking or need God to grow more of in their lives.
Say the Lord’s Prayer together. When you get to the part of “Give us this day our daily bread,” pause and take turns praying for God to grow the specific fruit you each mentioned. You can each complete this sentence, “God please grow more of the fruit of _____________ in my life.”
Then finish praying the Lord’s Prayer together.
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory now and forever.
3. Sing together
This first song video is from 2 Corinthians 5:17 – our memory verse!
- – As you sing it, stand and do the hand motions you learned from the lesson video.
- – Let your hearts be filled with thankfulness for God’s forgiveness and His work in our lives as you sing.
The second video is a fun song to help you learn the Fruit of the Spirit.