August 16, 2020
Parents, this lesson is simple to use. Just follow the instructions and have a great time with your kids at home worshipping God and learning from His Word together!
Lesson: Control Yourself!
First watch this lesson video:
Discussion & Activities
Here are ideas to help you talk, learn, pray and worship together. You can even save some parts to use during the week.
1. Talk about the lesson
First, choose one of the following options:
- Gather some Legos or building blocks and build a wall together in the middle of the table. (You can even make a walled city if you have time!)
- Gather cardboard boxes and make a walled fort to sit inside while you talk.
As you build (or sit in your fort), discuss the following:
- – Who can recite the memory verse from Proverbs 25:28? (“A person without self-control is like a city whose walls are broken down.”)
- – Why is this true? What can happen if we do not have self-control?
- – Why does God understand how hard self-control can be when we are tempted?
- – What are some things Jesus faced in his life that show us how He had self-control?
- – Sometimes controlling ourselves feels like a battle. What does it feel like when you do use self-control? (Like you’ve won! Jesus wants to help us win!)
2. Pray together
Have your kids bow their heads and think of something they are struggling to have self-control with. Have them picture it in their minds on the end of a fishing pole like a big shark.
Then pray for them:
“God, You are all-powerful. You made the universe. You can do anything. You know everything. And you love us! You see the things on the end of our fishing poles that we are all thinking of. We ask You, Lord Jesus, to come and take hold of the fishing pole. We need You! Help us to surrender to your way and to your help as the Holy Spirit grows self-control in our lives. In Jesus’ name.”
3. Sing together
There are so many great songs about God’s power and how He helps us…