September 27, 2020
Parents, this lesson is simple to use. Just follow the instructions and have a great time with your kids at home worshipping God and learning from His Word together!
Lesson: Sail #4 – Being Part Of The Church
First watch this lesson video:
Discussion & Activities
Here are ideas to help you talk, learn, pray and worship together.
1. Talk about the lesson
Review the Scripture passages from today’s lesson. You can extend it into the week it by reviewing each passage on a different night:
Read Ephesians 4:15-16 with your child. Then talk about the following:
- – What do you think it means that Jesus is the “head” of the church?
- – What is our part in His body? Ask family members if they feel God has given them a talent or “special work” to do.
On another evening, read 1 Co 12:14-27 and discuss the following:
- – What does your child think about this humorous way Paul explains the church?
- – What is Paul saying to us?
- – Explain to your child that even though they are young, they are still part of God’ family – the church. We all need each other to grow. Encourage your child to ask God what gifts He has given them.
Memorize the key verse: Come up with hand motions together to help you commit this verse to memory this week. (Be sure to watch the song video at the end of this webpage to help it stick.)
“You are the body of Christ. And each one of you is a part of it.” – 1 Corinthians 12:27
2. Pray Together
Have everyone hold hands as a reminder that we are all part of God’s family, the Church.
- Have everyone express thanks to God for what He did to forgive us and bring us into His family.
- Pray this next part together:
Oh loving, heavenly Father, we thank You for giving each of us ways that we can help in Your church. Help us to grow and discover the gifts and talents you have given us. And help us to know how to work together as we serve you in love every day. In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.
3. Sing together
Here are two songs to tie the lesson together.
This first one is our memory verse: 1 Corinthians 12:27
This second one is a great song to remind us that we are never too young or small. Paul’s advice to Timothy, a young pastor, was:
“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young. But set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12